BioWallet is a safe wallet that allows you to store many kinds of sensitive and confidential information. Thanks to its biometric handwritten signature recognition technology, you will be the key and never ever have to remember a password again!.
You can store: user/passwords, bank accounts, credit cards, photos, videos… anything you want to protect and keep safe (and hidden from everyone else!) Your information will be stored as records.
All your information is completely safe (your biometric identity and the all the records), they are stored encrypted and never sent out of the device.
To start using BioWallet you must first sign up or register in the system.
You can BioWallet’s permissions and what are they for here.
New in version 1.0:
- Attachments. Now you can export/import all your attachments (photos, videos) and create full back-up copies.
- Protect your exported files with a password.
- Enable invisible signature. Nobody will see how you sign.
- Enable/Disable Password Access to the application.
- Disable signature’s template adaptation once you feel comfortable with your signature.
- Ready for BioWallet2Browser
New in version 0.5:
- New translations added. Enjoy it now in English, Spanish, French, Dutch, German, Chinese, Polish, Russian and Italian.
- New credit card layout. New design… check it out here
- Attachments. Take a photo and attach it directly from a record.
- No more “System Tools” permission needed.
- New SplashID record. SplashID “Phone Numbers” record importing supported.
- Enrollment/Authentication. Revamped Enrollment and Authentication processes
- Sound Notifications. Now you can completely disable sound notifications in app’s settings.
- Bugs fixed from previous versions
New in version 0.4.1:
- Removed Internet Access. We have heard you loud and clear. The application does not require Internet Access permission anymore.
- No more ads.
- Improved search.
- Now you can register your signature again without losing your protected information
- Now you can delete your stored information much more easily.
- Bugs fixed from previous versions
New in version 0.3:
- Added importers from Keepass, OI SAfe, Secrets For Android and SplashID
- Added record “User/Pass”.
- Added record “Application”. It allows you to launch an application from BioWallet (copying the password stored automatically into clipboard).
- Added record “Contact”. In case you want have a secret contact (you can call/mail him/her directly within the application)
- Now you can configure how many login attempts you want and the penalty associated if this number is reached.
- Bugs fixed from previous versions
The first time you access the application, once you’ve accepted the EULA terms, a wizard will guide you through the registration process. The wizard will ask you to write your signature on the device’s screen a number of times. Then your biometric signature template will be encrypted and stored. Every time you access the device your signature will be compared against this template).
It is very important you get used to signing on the device, the sign up process is only valid (and will be only completed) if all your signatures are quite similar. The more time you take completing the registering process correctly, the easier your log-in will be later. That’s why the wizard has a specially designed training mode, where you can sign as many times as you want to get comfortable with signing your signature.
Step by step sign up process:
- The first screen is the Splash (initial animation). After that, you will begin the register process. The wizard will guide you through the entire operation.
- In the next screen you must enter your information: username, photo, first and last name.Only the username is required (it will be your identifier on the system). You can modify them later in app’s settings
- After you’ve completed your information, the app will show a screen with all the available biometric access methods. You can sign-up using one or more methods, and use them later to access BioWallet. Select one of them to start the registration. When you finish with one method, the app will show you this screen again where you can enroll in another method or finish the sign-up process.If you don’t complete a method, you can register it later on the app’s preferences. Option: “Enroll your signature again”
Register your signature
- If you select to enroll with the signature option, a screen will appear where you can practice (training mode) your signature on the device’s screen as many times as you want (at first it maybe be a little tricky but after a few attempts you will be signing in smoothly). You can sign in portrait and landscape mode, as you prefer. When you think you’re ready for the registration process tap on “Next” to begin with the signature acquisition process.
- The next thing you have to do is sign your signature on the device (at least 6 times). The app will show you the progress of the process in the top of the screen. If the recognition system detects that your signatures are not quite similar, it will ask you to sign again as many times as necessary to build up a good signature template.
- When you’ve completed the signature registration you will come back to the “Biometric Method Screen” where you can enroll using another identification method or finish the sign-up process.
- If you are unable to complete the registration process, go back to training mode, practice a little more and try again (once you have completed the sign up process you can lower the security level to enable easier access.
Register your password.
- If you select this option a screen will appear where you need to register the password you will use to access BioWallet. Once you’ve completed this step, you’ll come back to the previous screen and finalize the sign up process.
Modify your initial enrollment
- Remember that you can modify your handwritten signature enrollment or your password in the app’s settings at any time. For security reasons you can only modify the method you are logged in.
When BioWallet is launched, it will ask you to probe your identity. Depending on your registration process, it will show you the available access methods (handwritten signature or password).
If the system does not recognize you, it will be consider as a fail login attempt. By default, you have 5 attempts available. If someone tries to access BioWallet and all the attempts are consumed, the app will close automatically (you can configure this “penalty” in the settings).
These are the main functionalities of the Dashboard:
Records in BioWallet represent your sensitive and confidential information. There are different types of records for different kinds of information. You can organize them as you want.
For example, the “Credit Card” record is designed so you can store your credit card number, PIN, etc. All the information necessary to conduct transactions online, without needing to remember, manually enter or reenter any of them. You don´t even need to have your card with you. All the information is entered by BioWallet and can only be accessed by your personal signature or preferred access method.
In addition, you can attach notes to your records which are encrypted using the same high level of security as the rest of your information.
- Name: Web Site.
Fields: title, url, user + password.
What for?: It allows you to store Typical web registry information: facebook, twitter, gmail, tuenti, hotmail, etc.
New in 0.3: You can create a BioWallet website record directly from the Android Web browser by using the “Share Page” option from the browser.
- Name: Mail.
Fields: title, user, password, smtp server, pop, imap.
What for?: It allows you to store information about your mail, both professional and personal
- Name: Note.
Fields: title, description.
What for?: Anything that doesn’t fit in the other records.
- Name: Credit Card.
Fields: title, credit card number, expiration date, card holder name, CVV#, pin/pac and lost cards phone number (in case the credit card is lost – to warn the bank…)
What for?: It allows you to store all the credit card’s details. You can choose between different types of credit cards.
Video: See it in action.
- Name: Online Bank.
Fields: title, bank’s url, user id, password, operation key.
What for?: Store your online banking access data in this record. You can save an image of the code card as an attachment.
- Name: Bank Account.
Fields: user id, account number, account holders.
What for?: Store your bank account information, you won’t need the password anymore.
- Name: Document.
What for?: This record is specially designed to have a single file/document (as an attachment) and to be able to identify and work with it easily.
- Name: User/Password.
Fields: title, user and password.
What for?: Store just user/password information (quick and easy).
- Name: Application.
Fields: title, application and password
What for?: This record lets you choose an application from among those you have installed, and save the associated password. It can then be launched from BioWallet without having to remember the password again (it copies the password onto the clipboard). Use it with apps like: facebook, other password managers…
- Name: Contact.
Fields: title, name, email, phone.
What for?: If you want to keep your contacts private, you can store their information in this record. You can phone or mail him/her directly from BioWallet.
New in v1.0: In v1.0 this contact’s number will be deleted from the call log everytime you access BioWallet. If you call your contact directly from within BioWallet the contact’s number won’t show in the call log.
Common Record’s options:
- The records that have an URL will display a “Go” button. It is intended to open a browser directly leading to that URL. If the record also has a password it will be copied to the clipboard automatically.
- If the record has a password, you can copy it without having to enter the record. Perform a long click on the record and select the “copy password” option that will appear in the context menu.
- Also if the record doesn´t have a password, you can use the passwords generator tool. It lets you generate a random password of sufficient length and complexity to provide an extremely high, military level of security.
The application allows you to create records directly from the dashboard (the record is stored in the default folder).
When you press “Add Record”, the app will display a screen where you can select the record type that is most convenient. You will then be prompted to enter your information (a title is always mandatory) and press “Save” when finished, or “Discard” to exit without saving.
You can also create a record while exploring your information by executing a ‘long click’ so the context menu appears and then selecting “add record”.
This option is also available from the device’s menu, by using the “Add” icon.
Records may have attachments (see how to attach a file/documents to records)
BioWallet acts as a safe wallet (sensitive information and password manager). To explore this information, once you’ve proven your identity, you have the “Explorer” tool, available from the dashboard. This will guide you to a navigator screen where you can create, view and organize your information.
With the explorer you can:
- View, create, cut and paste folders and records
- Export your information
- Import information into BioWallet
- Access settings
To perform specific actions with folders or records you should use the long click on the specific folder/record. This way the context menu will then show the options available for that item: create, cut/paste…
If you use the phone´s trackpad all these options will also be available on the phone’s menu.
Creating a folder
To create a folder use the context menu and select “Add Folder”. Once you’ve selected it, a screen will be displayed where you can name your folder and include a short description ir desired.
Cut and Paste
To cut a folder or record perform a ‘long click’ on the item you want to cut and select “Cut” from the context menu. Then simply, navigate with the explorer to the folder where you want to paste and select “Paste” from the context menu or “Paste” from the apps menu. In this example we’re moving the “Photos” folder into the “Personal” folder.
BioWallet lets you search your information from inside the application and directly from the Android Quick Search Box (using the phone´s search button).
Search inside BioWallet
Search your records quickly from BioWallet using the “Search” button on the dashboard or the phone´s search button.
In the search screen, you can start typing and the search will automatically filter the records that begin with the same letters…At anytime you can click on a record and view its content.
Automatic filtering only works if the title of the records matches what you’re typing (in the same way Android does). Anyway you can still search as usual by using the “magnifier” button as in the example: searching “.com”
Search from Android (Quick Search Box)
BioWallet can be integrated, if you wish, with the Android Quick Search Box.
This feature is disabled by default. Remember that all your information is stored encrypted, for that reason neither the Android system nor any other application can access the information. For the search to work properly, the titles of you records must be stored un-encrypted (Note: only the title, the rest of your information will still be encrypted), so that way Android can search into the record’s title from outside BioWallet.
If you wish to enable this feature you must do:
- Enable quick search box on BioWallet’s settings
- Make BioWallet’s record “searchable” from Android’s settings. Go to “Phone settings –> Search –> Searchable items -> Enable BioWallet”.
This option, available from dashboard, lets you easily store and encrypt a file (photo, conversation, video, document…) inside BioWallet.
When you click on “Encrypt” a file browser, pointing to the sdcard, will be opened and you have to choose a file.
Once the file is selected you should indicate whether the original file should be deleted or not, and where to store the encrypted file (sdcard or application’s private memory).
The application will encrypt the file, it will be attached to a new Document Record stored in the default folder inside BioWallet. When you want to work with it, just export (decrypt) it to the sdcard and view with your preferred application.
The exporter is designed to make backup copies of your information.
The process will generate a .zip file in the sdcard (/sdcard/data/com.mobbeel/BioWallet_ExportProcessDate.zip), it will contain some .csv files (plain text separated with commas) representing the information you had stored in BioWallet and all the attachments you might have (if you have selected to export the attachments)
You can select to protect the exported .zip file with password and we encourage you to do so. If you don’t do it, please be careful with that file (It contains all your sensitive information)
You can export your attachments in the process, to do so just select the option “include attachments”
When you click on “Export” a screen will confirm the process and will show a notification message when its over.
The .zip file contains:
- FOLDER.CSV –> Contains the folder structurein BioWallet
- RECORD_CREDITCARD.CSV –> Contains the credit card’s records
- RECORD_INTERNET.CSV –> Contains the web site’s records
- RECORD_MAIL.CSV –> Contains the mail’s records
- All the attachment files you might have.
A file “RECORD_*” will be created for each different type of record you had.
You may find it easier to input your sensitive information in your PC/Mac. You can create some example records in BioWallet, export these records, modify the .csv adding your infortion (without modifying the structure of the .csv file), compress the file. zip again and import into BioWallet.
In next releases the export/import process will be improved and other importers will be added.
If you’re a user of Keepass, OI Safe, Secrets for Android or SplashID you can now import your information to BioWallet easily.
To import the information from these applications, you just have to select the file (previously exported following each app’s intructions) and follow these steps:
Once you click on “Import” a screen will be shown where you have to select the source of the information(which applitacion are you importing from: BioWallet, Keepass…) and the file to be imported.
All files/folder will be imported into the default/base folder.
When the process is done a notification message appears.
There are five different sections:
- Splash Screen. Enable/Disable BioWallet initial animation
- Sound notification. Enable/Disable sound notificationes: access granted, access denied…
- Theme. Choose between the two available themes for the application: “Secure Box” or “Black Box”
- Inactivity Time. BioWallet uses the “inactivity time” concept. It is defined as the amount of time that BioWallet keeps you identified when you stop interacting with the application (assuming you don’t use “logout” option). For example, if you are viewing a Web Site record and use it to open a web browser, the inactivity time starts counting down; if that time reaches what you have defined here, then when you re-enter BioWallet it will ask you to identify yourself again. This is a security measure to prevent anyone from accessing your private information
A time option will be shown that allows you to choose your inactivity time.
- Enable login password. This is enabled by default. It lets you use a password as a means of identification. If you disable it, you will use only your signature
- Logout when locked. This option is related to the inactivity time. If you enable it, when the phone is blocked your inactivity time will expire and BioWallet’s session will end. Next time you want to access your information you must authenticate yourself again.
- Signature Security Level. It allows you to modify the tolerance level of the recognition technology, making the algorithm more or less permissive. You can modify the level on this screen:
In the captures you can see a scroll bar indicating the security level (-20% .. 20%). The less security level the easier to login into the application. The “Test” button will guide you to a screen where you can sign, and the system will tell you if this signature would be accepted or rejected with the current setting. This way you can test the security level, and get comfortable with it before changing the settings.
- Display strokes. It is enabled by default. It lets you decide whether you want the app to show the strokes of your signature where you’re signing on the screen or not. If you disable it, nothing will be shown and nobody will ever see your signature or how you sign.
- Enable adapt signature. If it is enabled, the app will ask if you want to adapt your template with the signature you just made to authenticate yourself. The more you adapt the template the better and easier you will access BioWallet. You can disable it anytime you want but we recommend to adapt your template, at least the first days you use BioWallet.
- Max login attempts. It configures the maximun number of attempts available to access to BioWallet. Default value is 5.
- Wrong try penalty. When an attempt is made to access your information that is not recognized by BioWallet ie signature, iris or password recognition, you can configure what actions BioWallet should execute. The current version only lets you decide how many failed login attempts and how long the app is blocked (during this time no one is capable of accessing BioWallet, not even you). If you enable this option a time penalty will be activated. Configure the amount of time the app will be blocked.
- Global Quick Search. This option lets the Android system search the record’s titles. If you enable it, the record’s title won’t be encrypted (the rest of information: user, passwords… are always encrypted).More about the search.
- Personal Data. Modify your personal data: name, surname, photo. This data was configured in the sign up process.
- Storage information. Shows statistics about records, folders and attachments stored in BioWallet.
- Delete your stored information easily. This option allows you to delete all your stored information (folders, records and attachments) but keeping intact your signature template, your access password, personal info and settings.
- Register your signature again.
This options lets you modify your initial register/sign-up in the app, you can modify your signature but keep all your existing information stored as it was.
If you use this option the wizard will show a screen with the access method you’ve used to authenticate enabled. The wizard will guide you through the re-register process, the same as it did in the initial enrollment.
For security reasons you can only modify the current authenticated method.
If in the initial enrollment you didn’t configure the signature you can register it with this option anytime you want.
- Register your password again.
This option lets you modify your initial register/sign-up in the app, you can modify your password keeping all your existing information stored as it was.
If you use this option the wizard will show a screen with the access method you’ve used to authenticate enabled. The wizard will guide you in the re-register process, the same as it did in the initial enrollment.
For security reasons you can only modify the current authenticated method.
If in the initial enrollment you didn’t configure the password you can register it with this option anytime you want.
- Reset Aplicación. This will erase all data from BioWallet. It will delete your folders, records, settings and your sign-up signature from the system! Remember you can backup your data with the export tool. Once the reset is completed you must sign-up again in the system.
- Send feedback. This will open a browser directly to BioWallet’s UserEcho where you can post your comments, complaints, errors, suggestions… and see what other people are saying about BioWallet.
- Help. It opens the FAQ in the mobbeel’s website.
- About. Shows the current version of the app.
Generate more secure and random passwords and save then into BioWallet. You never need to remember a password again!
The Password Generator can be configured according to your needs.
When you’re creating a record that has a password field, the screen will show this button. If you click it you’ll see this:
As seen on the captures, there is a password strengh (or security) indicator. It will depend on length, use of lowercase/uppercase…
If you “Generate” the password, it will be automatically copied into the password field of the record (where you can copy it later for other purposes).
If you have difficulties accessing BioWallet with your signature you can modify the security level of the biometric recognition system, enable password authentication (login) or register your signature again without losing your stored information.
However, the application does have a learning process and your signature template will be adapted. Once in a while, when you enter BioWallet, the app will ask you if you want the last signature to be added to the template. This way your login will be easier.
New in 1.0 version. You can disable the template adaptation anytime you want from “Settings -> Security -> Enable adapt signature”.
You can store any type of file or document in BioWallet, it will be encrypted and no one but you can decrypt it. You can store a file:
- Use the encrypt option from the dashboard. It will create a document record with just one file attached.
Add attachments to almost all record types. You have a tab called “Attach” in every record that allows attachments:
You can attach a file making a long lick and selecting “Add an attachment” or using the phone’s menu and selecting “Add”. In both cases, a file browser to the sdcard will appear and you can select a file to attach, encrypt and protect. These are the same encrypting options as mentioned before.
In the current version we have added the possibility of taking a picture and protecting it directly from a record (option “Picture” of the menu). With this option the photo is not stored in the phone’s gallery, it is stored encrypted only in BioWallet.
To see an attachment just click it normally in the attach tab. Once the file is decrypted, the app will launch your default application for each file type. If you don’t have a default application, then the system will show a list of applications to display the file.
You can export your attachment in two different ways: you can include all your attachments in the general export process or you can export them individually from every record. The first way is explained in this FAQ in “13. Export your information.” For individual exports please follow these steps:
You can export an attachment making a long click on it and selecting “Export” or exporting every attachment within a record selecting “Export all”. Files are exported into /sdcard/data/com.mobbeel
In BioWallet you can perform actions on most items (records, folders…) by making a long click on them (holding your finger for a couple of seconds). Every option available in the context menu (when you make a long click) should be also available by selecting the element with the trackpad ball of the phone and using the phone’s menu. Remember BioWallet behaves diferently if you perform a normal click on a item and if you do a long click.
These are the permissions used by BioWallet Signature:
- “System tools”. Needed to see what applications you have installed and point to them in the application record type
- “Your personal information” and “Phone Calls”. Needed to be able to make calls to your secrets contacts and then delete the call log.
To delete a file encrypted with BioWallet you have three options:
- 1) Log in to BioWallet, go to the record that you’ve attached the file to, press “Attach” tab and then long click on the attachment you want to delete. A contextual menu should appear, press “Delete” to delete the file.
- 2) You can delete record attachments by deleting the record itself. If you delete a record, all its information will be erased automatically (attachments included)
The two previous options will work if you selected to store the attachment (when you created it) in the private zone of the application or the sdcard.
-3) If you choose to store the attachment onto the sdcard, you can also use your favourite File Browser application to delete the attachment (if you do this, BioWallet will display a warning error the next time you try to access this attachment with BioWallet).